22 October 2004

wknd 8 BOOKS!! sigh, grin

Weekend Assignment #8: Name the book that you feel would best describe you to a total stranger.  Extra Credit: List a book that someone swore would be a book you would love -- and you didn't.

PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH (by Norton Juster) is a book intended for children, but ageless in wit and wisdom.  I don't think of myself as ageless in wit and wisdom, rather I think that the character Milo and his sidekicks and adventures resemble my take on life in general.  So I feel that this book would most likely describe me to a total stranger.

I just cannot read CANTERBURY TALES by Chaucer.  I have tried and tried.  Can't do it.  This truly shocks and awwws (as in, you poor poor thang you) most of my literary friends, including my favorite Librarian (who was just promoted to Children's Librarian--wahoo!  you go girl!!).  LES MIS was a close second.  I get somewhere between pages 50 and 75 and cannot get any further.  Most of my friends who really really recommend this title reassure me that if only I would give it another 50 or so pages, the character development is done and the plot begins (not to thicken, it just begins around page 120 or so).  Sorry dude/ttes, can't do it.  Just can't.

1 comment:

  1. gotta LOVE the Phantom Tollbooth...I think I catually have my original copy around here somewhere.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!