22 October 2004

that's all folks

Weekend Assignment #24: Tell us what the first song was at your wedding reception and why you chose that song. If you're not already married, tell us the song you would like to have played first at your wedding reception. Also, for the purposes of this assignment, those of you who have had commitment ceremonies can join in the fun (it's that whole "we're going to spend the rest of our lives together, and now we're going to dance" thing).

{**edit:  Thur 13 Jan 11     Update:  At the time this was written, "my guy" referred to a different person than whom I married years later~~in October 2009, my wedding processional was Etta James's At Last, our first dance was Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World medley, and the first reception open~dance song was Pink's Get This Party Started.  Perfect!!}

Tonight I heard "just the two of us, we can make it if we try, just the two of us" and I thought, ya know, THAT'S probably not the most promising way to start a marriage.  Then I heard Styx's "tonight's the night, we make history, honey you and I..."  umm, k.  Then I started singing, "you won't get him, hoping and a wishing, praying and...".  no no no....

Ugly Kid Joe would NOT be played, esp the "I hate everything about you" song.  I had blissfully forgotten all about that one, til I heard it on "Flashback to the 80s" during Tuesday's lunch hour.  I was trying to remember what my reaction at the time was like, but it did not leave an indelible mark on me.

I think Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" is pretty powerful and my guy sang it to me a couple of months into us being together.  But I think the ultimate first choice song would have to take into account both our tastes and sentiments.  And so I cannot answer this one with much clarity.
Baby I’m amazed at the way you love me all the time
Maybe I’m afraid of the way I love you
Baby I’m amazed at the the way you pulled me out of time
Hung me on a line
Maybe I’m amazed at the way I really need you

Baby I’m a man and maybe I’m a lonely man
Who’s in the middle of something
That he dosen’t really understand
Babe I’m a man and maybe you’re the only woman
Who could ever help me
Baby won’t you help to me understand

(lead solo)

Baby I’m a man and maybe I’m a lonely man
Who’s in the middle of something
That he dosen’t really understand
Babe I’m a man and maybe you’re the only woman
Who could ever help me
Baby won’t you help me understand

Baby I’m amazed at the way you’re with me all the time
Maybe I’m afraid of the way I leave you
Baby I’m amazed at the way you help me sing my song
You right me when I’m wrong
Maybe I’m amazed at the way I really need you
(chorus no words)
(lead solo)
(chorus no words) (fades away)

1 comment:

  1. I do like that song and thanks for catching up on the assignemnts as I learned a liottle more about you   john

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!