22 October 2004

wknd #3

weekend Assignment #3: Recount the worst piece of advice you've ever been given, or the worst piece of advice you've ever provided. (For extra credit, do both).

Well, this one is easy.  The worst advice I've ever been given was from the lawyer with whom I consulted last week.  Basically, he suggested that I do nothing.  He felt that I should not file an appeal, which means that my silence is consent that I agree to the assessment that the State of Alabama has leveled against me...um, I can read and what's more is I have a brain that functions at times....this means that I understand that by choosing to do nothing, I am doing something that I do NOT want to do.  Namely, I do NOT owe Alabama anything.  So, I am filing an appeal.  If I do not, then the assessment amount is entered as final and I then owe them that amount, due in full payment within 45 days or...I get to wear orange canvas and I must say that not only is that particular shade ghastly on me, but I have an aversion to being in small cinderblock cells with barred windows and ahum "openings" (doorways is a misnomer).

The worst advice I've ever given...has been to myself.  Our legal system is unbiased and rational, trust the system and it will all work out.  WHAT was I thinking?!?  I was raised better than that!  I KNOW better than that...so what excuse was I using at the time?  To that question, I know not the answer.  I tend to be rather naive at times, slow on the uptake, idealistic, and sometimes I do believe everything I read.

sigh, you'd think I'd know bynow...

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!