22 October 2004

Wknd #4

Weekend Assignment #4: Share the most memorable birthday present you've ever gotten -- or given (extra credit for both).

The most memorable birthday present I've received is a tough decision, because I have been blessed with so many great ones over the years.  But I would have to say that the most fitting one came when I was 13 yrs old.  I just entered the between years, leaving childhood, but not an adult.  At that time I played intramural basketball, in 7th grade.  After we finished Saturday's game, I headed for the showers.  I was unprepared to discover that I started my very first period ever.

After I got home, my mom and I went to the hair salon, where I got my first ever professional perm.  I had thick long blonde hair, that I could sit on.  They had to cut it to my lower back to perm it.  Then because it took soooo long to put up, they got a little careless and rushed in the application of solution.  So after my hair came out of the curlers, was rinsed and dried, they discovered that they frizzled it badly and needed to cut it again.  So, it was cut even with my shoulders.  This was a radical change for me that I was unprepared for, but I dealt with it gracefully, thinking well, it's hair, it'll grow back.  But not before I had to have it cut into a lil dutch boy bob, the following week because of the perm damage.

The most memorable birthday present I ever gave was a crochetted blanket of rose and soft-white for my mother.  It was one of the few things I made that actually turned out quite nicely and is warm, pretty, and well-made.  Mom uses it in the winter, when she is reading in the rocker.  Otherwise, it is folded and draped over the restored chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!