22 October 2004

wkend 5

Weekend Assignment #5: Recount your most memorable encounter with celebrity. If you haven't met anyone famous and don't know anyone who has, here's an alternate assignment: Reveal your first celebrity crush (and of course, for extra credit, do both).

 

My first celebrity crush was Johnny Depp, circa 1985 or so.  I was about 14.  I did not get all twitterpated, swooning dangerously.  But, I did think he was just so, well, so...sigh...indescribably scrumptillious.

 

Celebrity...a widely-known person...Quinton Powers wrote the music for Reba McEntire's "whoever's in new england", "sweet sixteen", and other country top 40 hits.  I met him and his partner just two months before he died.  I had no idea who he was, but it was very crowded in the restaurant/lounge/bar area with the Valentine's couples and there was room at our table, so I invited them to sit with us.  We had very interesting conversations throughout dinner and afterwards.  I visited their apartment, walking right past the framed gold, platinum albums.  I only noticed them as I was leaving.  Quinton was a very unhappy man, he drank himself to death.  I am glad that I had a chance to know him, sorry that we could not do more.  His partner stayed with us briefly, following his death.  She has since moved on to Florida.  The last I spoke with her, she was not doing too well either.  They were both good people with much more than it seemed they could bear.  Not one of us is impervious, no, not a single one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!