22 October 2004

...nearing the end.

Weekend Assignment #23: 100 years from now, your great-great-great-grandchild has been assigned to write a school report on your life and times. Help him or her by putting five things in a time capsule.

I have two journals that I kept during my junior year of high~school for a history class.  That would be covering the academic year of 1987-88, my teenage perspectives on my self, my life, the world around me, and the mega-news events of that time frame.  So I would include those two journals as one volume (or is that cheating?  I get into the same dilema at the grocery store with the express lanes, do I count the 2 for 1 as 1 or 2 items?).

I have a few diskettes that are all but obsolete now (omg!!  do computers even have 5 1/4 inch drives anymore?), but I am sure they will have some decoding document retrieval system in place then...those diskettes contain some writings from my undergrad years of the early 90's.  Academic assignments, including philosophy, business ethics (there's an oxymoron), and english lit papers and personal notes give a reflection of relevant issues of times (Valdez Oil Spill, remember?  anyone?).
I have a file folder, slim, of miscellaneous but important key correspondence spanning my lifetime.  My birth announcement is there.  A grade school report card is in there.  A few letters from longtime friends are there.  But the file is not even 1/4 inch thick.

I would wrap these items mentioned above in one of my crocheted blankets.  That way they can see my creativity, as I work from two skeins of yarn in a modified popcorn stitch that yields a very warm comfortable throw that is unique in my own way.  Also, I would burn a CD of various music and my voice doing commentary.

If I could throw something in there, with the intention of baffling them, I would put in a rolling pin...I don't think there is difficulty in grasping what all it CAN be used for, but rather its supposed primary usage is already fading.  I don't even own one anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!