24 October 2004

i put a spell on you...

I've been making god's eyes.  These are modified slightly, using mini-sticks and embroidery floss.  They are intended to be Christmas ornaments, but can be displayed in other ways as well.

The legend of god's eyes is interesting.  Like most legends, it can be adapted to fit other situations and cultures.  So, it dovetails nicely with various beliefs of higher powers.

The original legend originates with the Huichol Indians of Jalisco in Mexico.  They believe in the power of their higher being to see and understand things they cannot.  So, they ask for the protective care of their god to watch over their children, especially in the first five years of live (the most dangerous years).

The father makes a god's eye when the child is firstborn.  It is rather large and consists of two intersecting sticks, very much like a cross, and rope or yarns.  This is woven so that it forms the center.  Then there are four ends for the remaining years.  After the fifth year, the god's eye is felt to have served its purpose.

Other tribes consider god's eyes to be symbols of luck.  Other groups like to view god's eyes are reminders to keep their own eyes on the prize.  Even some christians use god's eyes for personal prompts to remind them that god is omnipotent and he is always with you, seeing into your heart and knowing what you do, think, believe.

Christian Sunday School classes have modified this to use as a craft with a lesson for their children.   The idea is to make smaller god's eyes of popsicle sticks.  The lesson is that god's eyes are upon you always.
The bible has many verses related to eyes and vision as accountability, understanding, and knowledge.  Proverbs says that the lord's eyes are everywhere...Psalms says that (god's) eyes saw my unformed body...and the lord's eyes are righteous...god's eye is on the sparrow so he is surely watching you...many pleas to open my eyes and let me see are found too.

My god's eye crafts are smaller than usual, with no tassel hanging from the bottom.  I made a special one for my guy today.  It is variegated embroidery floss with the center being a cheerful orangish yellow and the outside being more of a rusted brownish yellow.  As I made it, I was singing, "Amber" (by 311).
311's  "Amber" Brainstorm
Take me away from the norm
I've got to tell you something..
This phenomenon
I had to put it in a song,
and it goes like:

Whoa
Amber is the color of your energy
Whoa
Shades of gold displayed naturally

You ought to know what brings me here
You glide through my head blind to fear,
and I know why-

Whoa
Amber is the color of your energy
Whoa
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Whoa
Amber is the color of your energy
Whoa
Shades of gold displayed naturally

You live too far away
Your voice rings like a bell anyway
Don't give up your independence
unless it feels so right
Nothing good comes easily;
Sometimes you've got to fight

Whoa
Amber is the color of your energy
Whoa
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Launched a thousand ships in my heart, so easy
Still, it's fine from afar, and you know that

Whoa
Brainstorm
Take me away from the norm
Whoa
I've got to tell you something

3 comments:

  1. Debra this was interesting   john

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this entry. I also enjoyed seeing the pictures of you that you posted earlier. Now I can put a pretty face to the entries.   Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is well in your world......... judi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!