18 November 2004

Weekend Writing Assignment #35

Ya better be thankful that Blogfather John Scalzi's such an easy going guy...

Weekend Assignment #35: Tell us something you should be thankful for -- but that you're usually not.

I am thankful for my vision and the joy I derive from reading.  I know I could learn Braille, if I lost my vision.  But, I have tried to learn before and all them tiny little bumps are very indistiguishable for my insensitive fingertips.  So I'd either have to request BIG extra BIG Braille, spaced just so.  Or I'd have to use some other more sensitive appendage to decipher my pages (and we are NOT going there).

I love to read.  I know I have made that clear in several entries.  But I'll say it again, I LOVE TO READ and am thankful I can do so.

But I don't think I have ever spoken of eye-surgery in my AOL journal.  I did have an operation when I was about 12.  Although I wear glasses, the only other impairment of my eyes is that they are light-sensitive.  I am usually extra careful of any danger concerning my eyes.  Sight is a precious thing, not fully appreciated until it is lost.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh. Yeah.  As a kid I read a book fromn Arrow Book Club called Follow My Leader, in which a Boy Scout is blinded by a firecracker. I remember being horrified by a scene in which he talks about learning to recognize his books by their shapes or their spines, only to be reminded, "You won't be reading them." I'm glad your eye operation had a good result.

    "My thankful" entry is also largely reading-centric, btw. - Karen
    http://journals.aol.com/mavarin/MusingsfromMavarin/entries/1340

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!