11 November 2004

Sing!! Sing out LOUD

For those of us who journal with John, we all know the weekend writing assignment routine.  Weekend Assignment #33: You can have any person, past or present, sing any song for you that you want. What is the song, and who is singing it for you?

Extra credit: Name a singer you wish you could sing like, but can't. So that means even those of you with excellent voices have to pick someone you can't sing like.

Don't be shy, c'mon!  Step up to the imaginary mic.  It's time to put all that harmonizing in the steamy shower to use.  I personally choose to wail and croon in my car.  Sometimes without the radio, depends if it is working or not.  And it doesn't always matter if I know the correct words...I think we all have stories about THAT.

I would rather hear vocals from the soul than lyrics with perfect pitch.  So, Janis Joplin came to mind.  Quickly followed by Nina Simone, Erykah Badu, Etta James, Billie Holliday, Mary J. Blige, Tracy Chapman, Bjork, and scores of other women.

But, Eva Cassidy has my heart.  She is no longer with us, but I have only recently discovered her music and she is truly wonderful.  Born in '63, she succumbed to cancer in November '96 at the age of 33.

Her flavor is mostly folk, with some jazz thrown in to spice things up.  Her renditions of "Imagine", "What a Wonderful World", and many others are truly inspiring.  She has smooth vocals, but heartfelt soul kicks it powerfully.

  Although I usually prefer the original artist over a remake.  I think I would have like to have heard Eva sing live.  So,  if I could choose only one song to hear her sing to me...well, it would be Jonathon Harel's "Just the Way You Are", made popular by Billy Joel.

Don't go changing, to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore
I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times; I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are
Don't go trying some new fashion
Don't change the color of your hair
You always have my unspoken passion
Although I might not seem to care
I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are.
I need to know that you will always be
The same old someone that I knew
What will it take til you believe in me
The way that I believe in you.
I said I love you and that's forever
And this I promise from the heart
I could not love you any better
I love you just the way you are

   Who do I wish I could sing like?  Last night, I was listening to Natalie Merchant.  She has great style, good range, and smokiness or clarity, depending on what she wants.  The subject matter of her lyrics are usually solid, too.  I wish I could sing like her.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for helping me to remember such a great billy joel song;)
    Chelle
    http://journals.aol.com/chellebelle1977/chellesjournal

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!