22 November 2004

Starting the wee ones out right

My guy and I went to Jackson today.  The state capital of Mississippi is about 3 hours from where I live.  Well, it's probably closer than that, it just takes awhile to navigate through traffic to get to where we need to be once we are in the big ol' city.

We stopped at a bookstore, where I amused myself with trips down memory lane in the children's section.  Amelia Bedelia is one of my favorite characters from that time period.  She is always quite literal in her translation of her task-list.

Amelia dresses the chicken (in overalls), draws the drapes (on sketch-pad), dusts the furniture (with fine white powder), hangs balls (a wide assortment of baseballs, basketballs, footballs, soccor balls, etc.) on the christmas tree with lots of (regular bulbs of) lights.

Amelia figures that an entire calendar's worth of dates ought to be enough for the date cake her employer requested.  I'd have her over for a cuppa, wouldn't you?

   Harold and his Purple Crayon are way older than me, but he will always be a toddler with creativity.  Johnson published this enduring children's book in 1955.  Harold lets his imagination run wild and he draws a hot air balloon to float across the town.  At the end of his day, he draws his bed and lays himself down.

  I love Mercer Mayer and his Little Critters!!  My favorite book of that series is:  I was Just So Mad   because it helps kids understand how to appropriately handle some of their emotions.  Often, children are not taught about anger and when and how to express it.  Sometimes, that can lead to problems later.     Madeline is also a favorite.  She was the littlest girl at the Parisian orphanage, where the girls lined up in pairs and did everything in order and with cheer.  Even getting sick in sympathy with Madeline when she must have her tonsils removed.   All in all, today was a good day.  The trip to the bookstore was just one teeny part of wonderfulness.  Thanks you, sweetie, for sharing a special birthday celebration with me.

2 comments:

  1. Harold's Purple crayon was my era, and a favorite, as was Madeline. Thanks for a blast from the past. I still have many of my daughter's childhood books-and she is 31 now! Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all those books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!