21 November 2004

Go ask alice...

Ding-ding-ding!  Thanks for playing, Margo!  I did allude to the traditional children's rhyme, "The Owl and the Pussycat" (by Edward Lear) in the last entry.  It was one of the poems I recited for the other eight students in third grade.   

Just a tidbit of trivia...the runcible spoon is similar to what we today call a spork.  It is a small fork, with 3 prongs, but it is curved like a spoon.  A true runcible spoon's outside prong has a sharpened edge for slicing through pickles.  The idea is that you then can scoop up the preserve and eat it, the excess liquid draining between the prongs of the spoon.  So, now ya know.  Bet THAT was keeping you up nights, causing you to lose sleep, eh?

     Edward Lear (1812-1888)

The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are, you are, you are,
What a beautiful Pussy you are."
Pussy said to the Owl "You elegant fowl, 
How charmingly sweet you sing.
O let us be married, too long we have tarried;
But what shall we do for a ring?"
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the Bong-tree grows,
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
With a ring at the end of his nose, his nose, his nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.
"Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling your ring?"
 Said the Piggy, "I will"
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon.
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand.
They danced by the light of the moon, the moon, the moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.

My favorite Disney owned-rights female is Alice, of Wonderland.  I can most identify with her.  She finds things to become curiouser and curiouser.  Sometimes, Alice, she cries in frustration.  Sometimes, she rails against the queen, realizing that they are all a buncha cards.  She pokes and prods and experiments, sometimes with extreme care and other times throws caution to the wind.

But all the time, she uses her head.  Even if her logic is flawed, she truly believes that she is making the right decision based on her conclusions which she came to through careful consideration.  She is a stand-up gal, with a strong sense of justice and compassion.  I admire her tenacity.

I also love Chip n Dale.  I appreciate that whole polite to the extreme routine of:  you go first; no, you; alright...then they both link arms and squeeze through together.  Kindness, consideration, facing the world with your best bud...   sounds kewl to me!!

3 comments:

  1. I love Alice in Wonderland and relate to her much as you do...Though I find Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz...a bit closer match for my personality (I am the sap of my family tree LOL) and life....I know I've experienced a few flying monkeys...and I always keep the ruby slippers handy...

    I've only recently begun enjoying your journal...but what a delight it is...  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Honey--a "spork"   heeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I like Edward Lear and Lewis Carroll both! Margo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!