09 January 2005

Bottletree Bakery

Just off the Square in downtown Oxford, sits the wonderful Bottletree Bakery.  I have had their decadent chocolate treats and honey  and cream~cheese danish, but I wanted to actually go inside and taste.  So this morning, my guy took me to the eatery so that I might enjoy the entire Bottletree experience.  And what an experience it was!

The mosiac patterns of bits of embedded glass and tile into the concrete are eyecatching.  The artistic renderings of bottle-trees, the Deep South version, are intriguing.  The rest of the trendy folk-art interior, complete with a flavor for the old, but favoring of the new, works well to complement the entire feel.

I had the sweet, light, Australian ginger scone and the flavor of the day, Mocha Java.  My guy went with the tried and true honey cream danish and Joe.  It all was delicious!  Truly a soothing experience for the soul.

 
The Mississippian author, Ms. Eudora Welty (1909-2001) wrote a short story called "Livvie", which features bottle-trees.  "Then coming around up the path from the deep cut of the Natchez Trace below was a line of bare crape-myrtle trees with every branch of them ending in a colored bottle, green or blue. There was no word that fell from Solomon's lips to say what they were for, but Livvie knew that there could be a spell put in trees, and she was familiar from the time she was born with the way bottle trees kept evil spirits from coming into the house--by luring them inside the colored bottles, where they cannot get out again."  
  
Bottle Tree Brachychiton sterculia

bottle tree Brachychiton sterculia  There really is a "bottle-tree".  Legend has it that this type of bottle tree stores water for drought, kinda like the camel of trees.  In mythical tales, the sly fox stole the key, unlocked the trunk, and the waters gushed forth, drowning the fox but providing all the waters for the lakes, rives, ponds, seas, oceans, and such.
I invite you to poke around the net and see some other beautiful bottle-trees!!

3 comments:

  1. This is so very interesting....Thanks, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were in Oxford this week for the Faulkner Conference.  We heard about the Bottletree Bakery and went down one morning.  I had one of the best bagels...if not the best...I have ever had.  The veggie cream cheese was wonderful.  Felix had a cinnamon roll.  We went back the next two days for more.  I, too, loved the folk art.  I may make a bottletree in my front yard as homage..well, maybe not-I do live in the South, but the neighbors might not understand.  That is the best breakfast place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bakery is excellent. My son loves is 15 months and loves it in there. They have the best apple pie and it is so creative. I am glad you are here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!